Sure Southern folks might have a bit of an accent and sound uneducated, but this is just a major misconception. In fact, you might be surprised to learn just how many misconceptions actually exist about the southern culture. Hollywood movies have a big part to play in making the misconceptions come to live with movies like Mississippi Burning and Deliverance.
1. Not every southern person that you come across is racist. Just because they like to live a country life doesn’t mean they embellish it to the fullest.
2. Not all southern people are uneducated. In fact, you might be surprised to learn that some of the smartest people in the world grew up in southern surroundings.
3. Not every southern person likes to hunt or fish for his or her food. Sure hunting and fishing are a big part of the southern pastime, but they do not depend on it to eat.
4. Not every person from the south likes NASCAR racing. Sure there are a lot that do, but not everyone does.
5. Not every southern person that you come across is inbred. In fact, those types of practices have gone out with the times.
6. Not all southern people are poor or middleclass. In fact, there are some southerners that are filthy rich.
7. Not everyone in the south is a bible thumper.
8. Not every southerner drives a pickup truck.
9. Not every person that lives in the south enjoys country music.
10. Not every southerner likes to run around barefooted in a pair of overhauls.
11. Just because you are from the south doesn’t mean that you love fried chicken and sweet tea, although it is extremely popular.
12. Not everyone knows how to work on his or her own vehicle.
13. Just because you are from the south it doesn’t mean that you love football.