If you are a dog owner, you probably already realize just how deeply you care for your furry little friend. You like to bathe them, dress them up in clothes, and take them everywhere you go. However, there are several surprising and interesting facts that you probably don’t know about your four-legged buddy.
1. Dogs can be traced back to over 40 million years ago to a weasel-like creature known as a Miacis.
2. Grapes, raisins, and chocolate can all be harmful to dogs.
3. Your furry little friend has sweet glands located between his paws.
4. Dogs actually have three different eyelids.
5. A dog’s shoulder blades are not actually attached to the rest of his or her skeleton to allow for great flexibility during running.
6. Kublai Khan once owned 5,000 dogs and that is reported to be the most dogs ever owned by a single individual.
7. The American Kennel Club is the most influential dog club in the United States, which opened its doors in 1884.
8. Most popular male dog names are Max and Jake.
9. Most popular female dog names are Maggie and Molly.
10. When a puppy is born it is blind, deaf, and toothless.
11. There are species of dog that doesn’t actually bark and it is called the Basenji.
12. It costs around $10,000 to certify and train a professional search and rescue dog.
13. Rin Tin Tin, a famous Hollywood dog used to sign his contract with his paw print.
14. Dogs are now being trained to sniff out bed bugs as a more efficient means of detection.
15. A dog can move his or her ear with 18 different muscles.
16. The patron saint of travelers is sometimes depicted with the picture of a dog’s head.
17. There are an estimated 400 million dogs in the world.