The Sun is an amazing thing that many people take for granted. Can you imagine what would happen to the world if the Sun never came out? Well, just hope that day never comes, but in the meantime, you can learn some interesting things about the Sun that you probably never knew.
1. The Sun is estimated to be 4.6 million years old, which is supposedly halfway through its lifespan.
2. The Sun consumes four million tons of hydrogen every second.
3. It would take 109 Earths to cover the surface of the Sun.
4. It would take over 1 million Earths to fit inside the Sun.
5. Every 11 years the Sun reverse its magnetic polarity.
6. The Sun is closest to the planet Earth as compared to any other planet.
7. The center of the Sun is reported to be around 27 million degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Every 25 Earth days the Sun rotates on its axis.
9. The Sun produces a stream of charged particles known as the solar wind, which travels around 280 miles a second throughout the solar system.
10. Solar flares are particles that burst from the Sun.
11. All planets orbit the Sun in the same direction, which is counterclockwise.
12. The Greek philosopher Aristarchus is the first person that has been quoted as saying that the Earth orbits the Sun.
13. The Sun is mostly made up of hydrogen and helium.
14. The Sun is almost the shape of a perfect sphere.
15. It takes the light from the Sun 8 minutes to reach the Earth’s surface.
16. The Sun makes up 99.86 % of the total mass of the solar system.
17. The Sun is estimated to have completed around 20 orbits in the entirety of its life. This would be 1/1250th of an orbit since humans inhabited the Earth.