Today, the Internet is an integral aspect of modern life. The Internet has evolved and has created its own history over time. How well do you know the history of the Internet?
1. Everyone has heard the phrase surfing the Internet. Where did the phrase come from? Believe it or not, the term became famous in 1992 thanks to a New York librarian known as Net Mom.
2. Today, Twitter is used by millions all around the world. Of course, it had to start somewhere. Jack Dorsey kicked it all off on March the 21st of 2006 with the first-ever Tweet.
3. Tim Berners-Lee, who just happens to be the inventor of the world wide web, received a prestigious honor in England. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth.
4. The GIF picture format has become very popular over the past few years. Surprisingly, it was created a long time ago by an engineer with Compuserve. When was it was created? 1987!
5. Email has become the easiest and cheapest way to communicate. The world’s first email was sent in 1971. Unfortunately, Ray Tomlinson cannot remember what the email’s contents were.
7. Geocities was incredibly popular in the past, because the site allowed anyone to create their very own personal website. Unfortunately, the service was shut down in 2009. At the time, there were more than 7 million sites hosted with Geocities.
8. Online dating has become more popular than ever. In fact, it is estimated that Internet daters spend nearly $250 a year to date online. Even more surprisingly, more than 1 million babies have been born, thanks to a relationship started on Match.com.
9. The webcam has evolved substantially over the years. The first one ever was used at Cambridge University’s computer lab. It was very basic and was used to observe a coffee maker.