America is home to approx 330 million (August 2019) people and counting. Many people describe the American people as wacky, funny, welcoming and crazy. To help you form a decision about the American people, a list of startling facts are listed below.
1. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), every American tosses out 4.4 pounds of rubbish every day. Americans are extremely wasteful, but when everything is said and done, we generate less municipal solid waste than the Caribbean Islands.
2. According to the Energy Information Administration, in 2012, countries worldwide consumed 529 quadrillion British thermal units or Btu. America only supports 4.4 percent of the world’s population, but the American people were able to utilize 18 percent of the total energy consumption in 2012.
3. In 2005, it was documented that 82 percent of Americans believed in God. This number dropped to 74 percent in 2013, which is a significant drop. With the ever-increasing numbers of people that are turning away from believing in God, this percentage is dropping at an alarming rate.
4. Americans are extremely superstitious and according to a Harris Interactive poll, 42 percent of the people living in the United States believe in ghosts. Another 24 percent believe in reincarnation and 26 percent believe in witches.
5. According to a Public Policy Polling survey, 7 percent of the American people do not believe that Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon. These skeptics are adamant about their believes and would never listen to reason. Another 4 percent believe that the world is controlled by “shape-shifting reptilian” people.
6. Thomas Reuters compiled a group of data together over a period of time. This data suggests that American researchers published 1.27 million papers in 2012. American researchers were responsible for publishing 27.8 percent of scientific papers. China came in second with 14 percent.